Friday, July 20, 2007

Duluth, Minnesota

This past weekend I had the opportunity to fly up north to Duluth, Minnesota with my mom where we visited with my 86 year-old great uncle as well as with my uncle and two cousin's who drove up from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It was a great opportunity to spend some quality time with my family since it has been 4 years since I last saw my uncle and cousins and 8 years since I last saw my great uncle. Additionally, it has been 20 years since I last visited my family in Duluth so it was time to make a return visit.

Many would ask why Duluth? Duluth is the childhood/early adult home to both of my maternal grandparents as well as it is the place that my great uncle and many generations of family on my mother's side were raised. It was great to drive around and see all of the places that had special meaning to my mom: 1. my grandparent's childhood homes; 2. my great-grandmother's home (where my mom spent most of her summers as a child); 3. the church where my grandparent's were married as well as the hotel at which their reception was held; 4. the family plots at Calvary Cemetery (home to many generations of family); and 5. many local haunts that my mom went to as a child.

In addition to squeezing in time driving around town and visiting familiar sights, my mom and I drove to the Glensheen Mansion, home to the Congdon family who had settled in Duluth in 1908. The home has been maintained by the University of Minnesota since it was gifted to them by the family in the 1970s. Today the interior remains decorated as it did in 1908 and little has changed. All of the original furniture remains in the home as do many of the family portraits, left as they were when the last daughter died in the home. The home is surrounded by beautiful gardens and superb lake views that are now maintained by the U of Minnesota. Until 2004 the gardens were maintained by the son of the original head gardener who moved to the home in 1908. With temperatures in the mid-70s it was an ideal day to walk around the home and gardens.

The Glensheen Mansion

Enjoying Lake Superior

No comments: